Thursday 27 October 2016

Week 6: Say Something

Anonymous, graffiti, date and location unknown.


Anonymous, stencil of National Zapatista Liberation Army (EZLN) spokesperson and military
strategist, Subcomondante Marcos. Date and location unknown.


Haha, Ned Kelly stencil, Melbourne.


Anonymous poster documentation of anti G-20 protests that appeared around Melbourne the day after the protest, 2006.


Anonymous pink graffiti, Melbourne, 2012.


Anonymous pink graffiti, Melbourne, 2012.


Anonymous, abandoned car turned street art, Melbourne, Oct 24, 2016.


Barry McGee, Walk on by, mural, New York.


VSVSVS Collective, Art on the Danforth: Graffiti Removal Removals, Toronto, 2012.


VSVSVS Collective, Art on the Danforth: Graffiti Removal Removals, Toronto, 2012.


Ken Lum, Monument for East Vancouver, 2009, Clark and 6th Ave, Vancouver.


Martin Creed, Work No. 851: EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE ALRIGHT, 2008, exterior of the Wing Sang building, home of the Rennie Collection, in Vancouver's Chinatown.


Kathy Slade, Is Everything Going to Be Alright?, 2010, exterior of Audain Gallery, East Hastings St, Vancouver.


Ken Lum, I said No, 2010, exterior of Audain Gallery, East Hastings St, Vancouver.


Edgar Heap of Birds, Insurgent Messages for Canada, 2007.


Edgar Heap of Birds, Native Hosts, 1991. Signage at UBC, and the Virgin Islands.




Cathy Busby, We Are Sorry, 2010.


Cathy Busby, Budget Cuts, billboard, 2012, Saskatoon.


Barbara Kruger, We Don't Need Another Hero, billboard, 1986.


Barbara Kruger, untitled billboard, 1996, Melbourne.


The Guerrilla Girls


The Guerrilla Girls on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.



Claire Fontaine, Consumption, 2010.


Claire Fontaine, America Burnt/Unburnt, 2011.





Jenny Holzer, projections, Sienna, 2009.

8 comments:

Jennifer. H said...

Art on the Danforth: Graffiti Removal Removals, was one of my favorite pieces of art shown to the class because it really caught my eye and left me to wonder. I was curious to find out what laid underneath the bright yellow paint, and it inspired me to think of reasons why it would need to be covered up. I was also very intrigued how a piece of art that no longer exists, or was covered up, can still be seen as an art piece and still be admired. I loved how the art piece or graffiti was to provocative or honest that someone went out of there way to cover up someone's expression, but really didn't quiet their voice.

Meagan B said...

Martin Creed, Work No. 851: EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE ALRIGHT, 2008
This piece of artwork really caused me to think about the reasons people do art. I believe they do art to influence others around them, to make people think and in my opinion, Martin Creed did exactly that. When I saw his art, I immediately was able to relate. I feel like the statement "Everything is going to be alright" is something that everyone is able to relate to no matter where they are in their lives. I am curious as to what caused the artist to write such a powerful and promising statement on the top of a building for everyone to see. I think it's neat that these six words have one meaning, but each and every person will interpret it differently.

Ruhma B said...

@Barry McGee, Walk on by, mural, New York. This post inspires the final project that my group and I doing because the way they spray painted names onto the wall we are writing stories in footsteps on a board. How they displayed names on a wall we are displaying stories for other people in the school to see, or for people who come the register at the the school. This piece of art shows that art does not need to be complicated, it can even be as simple as spray painting names onto a wall. When I saw this I knew this is something I could relate too because I like to do simply things.

Jaewon.L said...

In respond to Jenniffer.H
I too, agree that the Graffiti Removal Removals are quite eye catching, however saying that "someone went out of there way to cover up someone's expression" was a bit over the top. While I enjoy a good graffiti, it doesn't change the fact that it is illegal and can be very offensive. We can't ever say someone "went out of their way" until we see the original graffiti.

Ruhma B said...

In respond to Jennifer. H
I agree with 100% that even though a piece of art has been covered up, it still makes a piece of art because when the people are done covering up the graffiti it still leaves behind part of the orignal paint and newer paint which creates a brand new piece.

Simran G said...

@Barry McGee, Walk on by, mural, New York. When this picture was first shown in class it really caught my eye. The different sizes of each graffiti gave the art depth; for the artist itself it may have been the value of each word. The repetition of words was quite unique, this particular painting sparked an idea which gave me a similar idea for the repetition in footsteps for our final project. I also become more open towards words as art after seeing multiple pieces where there main focus were words, which became another element in our final project. Using a brighter color gave the words the focus, if the artist was to use a lighter color the focus may have been shifted and created a whole new understanding of the painting.

Simran G said...

In respond to Jennifer. H
I honestly agree. When this art was shown in class, it left me confused.The question was stuck in my hand “What was behind the painting? Why may have someone decided to conceal someone's art”? The artist may be simply concealing an art piece, yet to us viewers it has created another art piece. The artist chose to paint over in a completely different color; possibly to create suspense and allow for people to question.


Simran G said...

In respond to Ruhma B
Simple and abstract pieces are all sorts of ways, it’s always changeable; there’s always something in which you can add. Art can and may be as simple as a paint stroke on the wall, yet leaves us to stop and wonder. Why has this been done and what may the artist try to get across? The artist may have done this with no meaning at all yet we all have different levels of understanding.